Chanoine Frères Champagne
The Chanoine family is one of the oldest families in Epernay. Under King Louis XV, Jacques-Louis and Jean-Baptiste Chanoine founded a champagne trading house in 1730 under the name Chanoine Frères. (Frères translates as brothers). In the same year, the Chanoine brothers received permission to establish the first champagne cellar in the now famous champagne town of Epernay (today, Chanoine has its headquarters in Rheimsthe capital of Champagne). In the 19th century, the successful champagne house used to supply the most important foreign champagne market at that time: Russia, more precisely the Russian Tsar's house.
In homage to tsarist Russia, the most important foreign champagne market of the 19th century, Chanoine Frères created the Cuvée Tsarine.
The two Chanoine brothers, true forerunners of modern champagne, crossed the whole of Europe and quickly developed a good and solid clientele thanks to their energy and the recognised quality of their wines.
In the 20th century, the brand Chanoine Frères Champagne first went to Canard-Duchêne. From there it was resold to Bruno Paillard and Philippe Baijot. Today Chanoine Frères Champagne belongs to the Boizel Chanoine Champagne Group, whose owners are Baijot, Paillard and Boizel.